Friday, April 6, 2012

Kick Ass Fried Chicken

So I named this chicken Kick Ass for 2 reasons. 1) it really is kick ass, and delicious too. 2) it gives me the opportunity to tell you all about the time that I kicked D1’s ass. See what I did there?


So D1 and I met September of '88 in the 6th grade. Shit, we're getting old. We're still hot though, believe it. Anyway.... we became fast friends and immediate lifers. We soon were having sleepovers, spending Spring Break and summer vacations together. Sweet shit, huh? The summer between 7th and 8th grade we spent the 1st part of the summer in a day camp and the 2nd part at my grandmother's house.


Our moms took turns taking us to the day camp, where we just basically fucked around all day and maybe did some gymnastics and shit. So one day, we were sitting watching some boys play basketball outside. I was sitting in the only chair that was out there. I got up to go and pee and when I got back, D1 was sitting in my chair. So I told her to get up. She basically told me to go fly a kite, that she wasn't moving. We got into a verbal confrontation that ended with me dumping her skinny ass out of the chair by picking it up and tipping her out. She got up and turned around and shoved me, so I shoved her back. We ended up in a tussle with hair pulling and whatnot. Not the hot kind of chick fight, we were 12 - so get your minds out the gutter. We had to be separated and we didn't speak to each other for about 26 hours. End of story. We both agreed later on that I won the fight and over the last 20+ years, the story has grown wings and we label it as the time I kicked her ass. I didn't really.... I swear. I larve her too much.


Ok, so back to the chicken....


Shit you're gonna need:


  • Chicken Breasts - however many you need to feed your gullet or the gullets of those around you.
  • Panko breadcrumbs - you know the Japanese shit. Shit is ridic.
  • Flour
  • Goya Sazon - Corrinader and Annato flavor. Look that shit up and find it in the ethnic aisle of your local grocery sto. (I'll put a picture of it at the bottom for the white folks)
  • 2 eggs, whipped up as if you were gonna scramble 'em
  • Salt and peppa
  • Canola oil for frying.
  • a big ziplock baggies

Don't ask me to give you measurements please. It all depends on how many pieces of chicken you have. If you use a pound or 2 of chicken, then you're probably use like 1.5 cups of panko and like a cup of flour. Eyeball that ish.


Shit you're gonna do:


1st, cut up, de-fat your chicken and if they're big thick pieces, slice them in half lengthwise so they don't take forever to cook thoroughly. Stick them on a plate, or on a cutting board or something.


Then take your panko breadcrumbs and dump them into a large ziplock bag, same with the flour. I'd say the ratio you need to use is like 1 1/2 panko to 1 flour. If you've ever breaded and fried chicken before, you'll know how much looks like you have enough. Don't sweat it, it's not an exact science people - it's just fried chicken. Along with the panko crumbs and flour, shake some salt and pepper in there and then 1 packet of Goya Sazon. I hope that you can find this shit where you live... it's a common staple in like ALL Latin cooking. So if you don't have it at your local grocery store, you probably are surrounded by white people. If you're missing this ingredient, give up now - won't be the same. Once all the ingredients are in the ziplock, zip that shit up nice and tight and throw it around so it's mixed nice and evenly.


Take the 2 eggs and whip them up in a large bowl as if you're making scrambled eggs.


Get a big frying pan out and fill it up with canola oil to get ready to fry. I prefer canola because it's better for me, apparently. You can use vegetable oil too, I'll never know. And if you're rich, use EVOO. I use a huge plug in frying pan for this typically, I've also used my fry daddy or whatever it's called - either one will do the job.


Dip your chicken in the egg wash and coat it nicely, make sure it's all nice and wet. Yeah buddy. I use a fork to do this because egg wash on my hands grosses me the fuck out. Then take the washed up chicken and throw it in that bag of breadcrumb mixture. Zip it tight and then toss the chicken around in there so it's nice and coated. You can save some time by putting more than one piece of chicken in the ziplock at a time, but then it gets kinda messy. So if you're not in a rush, do them one by one.


Using your fork, grab the coated up chicken out of the ziplock. You can use your hands too, but um yuck. How hard is that shit to get off your fingers? No thanks.


Stick the chicken pieces, one by one, into the hot oil and fry 'em up until nice and crispy and brown. If you've ever cooked chicken before, you'll know what done fried chicken looks like. If not, you may want to go back to having Lucky Charms for dinner and the occasional baked potato.


You can serve this with anything your little heart desires. Since your oil is hot, you could cut up some potatoes and make homemade french fries. Or serve it with rice. Or stick it on some lettuce with some ranch dressing and have a helluva fried chicken salad.


Let me know how it turns out if you try to make it!


Goya Corrinader and Annoto seasoning. You should have this spice on-hand at ALL times.


No comments:

Post a Comment