Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Bandwagon Pumpkin Cupcakes

Craving something sweet?  Just pour a bowl of cereal.  Am I right?  I'm right.  BUT, I didn't have cereal.  Totally pissed.  BUT I remembered all these recipes on pinterest where people use just a box of cake mix and just a can of pumpkin, and then BLAMMO...cupcakes.  That's cool.  I'll take the bait.  And since I was a hankerin' for something sweet, I figured this was the easiest way to spike my sugar levels.

Shit you're gonna need:
A box of yellow cake mix (As you can see, I used a betty crocker gluten free cake mix but all the recipes I've seen used the regular cake mix.  Mine worked great, so you're in the clear no matter what you use.)
1 can of 15 oz. pumpkin (Not gonna lie, I have seven cans of this shit in my pantry.  Why?  No fucking clue.  I guess when I see it, I get reminded of the canned pumpkin shortage of 2007 and I freak out and start hoarding.  Need canned pumpkin?  Come see me.)
2 tablespoons of pumpkin pie spice (I'm really glad I added this extra step.  But if you have a spice cake mix, you wouldn't need to add the extra spice.)

(Printable recipe at the end)


Shit you're gonna do:
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  Line a muffin tin (this recipe makes 12 cupcakes, but if you use a regular cake mix, it might make more) and spray the baking cups with a little kitchen ky.  It helps the liner not stick to the cupcake.  Even though we all want more fiber in our diet, adding cupcake liner isn't the way to go.


Sidebar:   If you use gluten free cake mix, THIS is how much comes in the package.  It's weird.  It's deceiving but for some reason, it all works out.  Kind of like hitting 3 keggers before curfew and being sober enough to make it back to your dorm before 1am.  Oh, college memories.


So, here it is.  That's it.  The mix, the pumpkin, and the spice.


Sidebar 2:  I have a stand mixer.  Don't get me wrong, I love it.  I do.  BUT, just like me, that thing has a big ass and it gets in the way.  I don't like it on my countertop which means it never gets used.  I'm cool with that.  The hand mixer is totally fine with me.  Easy to clean and it fits in a drawer.  Just like a cat I had in college.  I'm kidding.  It wasn't easy to clean.


Pour in your muffin tins and bake according to the package directions.  I had to bake mine for 10 minutes, flatten them with a spatula, and then turn the pan 180 degrees and bake for 10 minutes more.


These turned our reeeeeeeeally dense.  Not airy and fluffy.  But it's exactly what I wanted.



Regular 'ol generic cream cheese frosting.  I just put it in a ziploc bag, snipped off the tip, and swirled it around on the top of the cupcake.  And yes, I licked the spoon.  And the inside of the ziploc bag.  And the inside of the container.


Into pie hole in 5...4...3...2...(gulp!)


Here's the printable recipe...


No comments:

Post a Comment